By,
I
was so thrilled when I learnt that people are talented in so many ways.
When
did I become this polka-dot loving guy? Well, this runs in my community. Yes
Kamba Nation archetypal to be more precise. We just love art.
I
think majority of us are old enough to remember great artists such as kakai
kilonzo of kilimambogo boys’ band. The “Kenya nchi yangu” artist; A production
that earned him a pajero (I hear so, and this was a big deal those days, you
know) from the then president of the republic of Kenya, Daniel Toroitich Arap
Moi. That song still fills the air waves every time we have a national holiday.
Then
comes Peter Muambi of Kyanganga Boys band. A common figure in the late 80’s and
early 90’s.In almost each and every entertainment joint in Nairobi’s Eastlands.
You just had a Vitimbi concert or some Kamba musician performing on the stage.
The chance of it being Peter Muambi was a high, well no citation available but
my guess is 89%
This
inventiveness by the Kamba’s is just interesting. They have actually upheld
this special blessing releasing a song within a few hours of occurrence. Musyoki
wa Kimangu killed it when he pulled a
“Mbomb mblast hit” (in memory of august 7th 1998 bomb attack at the
cooperative building in Nairobi’s cbd ) barely 12 hours after the incident. Well,
it is not only in Composition of songs but we pride in having the largest
number of musicians in the country.
I
have always tried to ponder yonder if there exists that distinctive genetic
factor tied to the Kamba nation, regarding this outstanding art work.
I can perceive the daze in your face, because
you imagine how our ladies are so highly ranked for making it happen behind the
bedroom doors. I am not sure if this is stereotypical or it is the way it is.
Anyway, let me reserve my opinion on that.
This
historic believe is literally the stuff of fiction and it culminates in an
elite cross-section of internet users flocking social media and affirming the
existence of such a character. It has been accepted with mixed reactions, which
by the way have impacted the way the targeted culprits behave. This should
stop, to encourage the spirit of natural conduct. But all in all Kamba’s are
creative in almost everything. It is infectious, it is the way they are.
My flight
back to the brilliant and skillful Kamba nation.
Upon concluding my bachelor’s degree in
telecommunication engineering, I decided to look for some formal employment.
The journey was long, Worn out shoes, exhausted me, lack of commuting fee, the
problems were endless, was the order of the day. All in all, had I not learnt
the plight of educated persons in developing countries? I expected my resume to
be thrown to the trash bin after leaving an office, I expected bold responses
such as” we are not planning to employ any time soon” “we don’t have vacancies”
and Lies such as “we will call you back”. That was not fascinating at all and I
would tell myself “Man must live” and “Life must continue”. That was my only
source of inspiration.
Does this confirm the culpability of being
born in Kenya or Africa? I leave that to you. As for me it did not pull me
down, I decided to go back to my roots and see what my “less educated,” kinsmen
did to survive.
Image:
Free Hand drawing
I took
my time to watch how young and old men had perfected the art of using adze,
pocket knives and sand paper and produced astounding masterwork. That blend of Men,
women, boys and girls was just attention-grabbing. The passing of awareness
across the domain was something that caught my eye, and being a lover of knowledge,
I just jammed stuck in the middle of nothing. Off, I started my new journey and
my present life
I
put my egotism aside and decided to intermingle with my new found friends. I wanted
to pick up the art of curving but that eluded me spontaneously (My hands were made
for pen and paper and maybe screw driver), but still I could not keep my hands
off. I had to find another role, the industry is so big, you know. I joined the
young boys and women in sand paper job, I didn’t know moving to curving was an
initiation, and typically left for the big boys in the crew.
Holding
my bachelor’s degree in Telecommunication engineering at heart and a sand paper
in the hand, I pulled a gunny bag, kowtowed, and picked an unfinished sculpture
to show it how good I could make it. They allowed me to do everything. (You
know, graduates continuously enjoy some leverage in such a set-up.) I wish I could
thank them here, over and over, unfortunately almost none will see it. May be
their children or grandchildren will, one day.
It looked easy at first, and all seemed to be
working well, as I finished statue number 1, 2 3 in that order. It didn’t take
long before I got bruised, as my hands occasionally pulled out of the confines
of sand paper making me scrub with my bare hands.
I had
to humbly, whisper to one of the artists,( who only knew our mother tongue, no certificate,
no formal education and only knowing nursery school chants,) requesting for a tutorial.
Few months down the line became the guru I am now. Besides, Scrubbing I can now
draw designs, I can give the smooth finish and apply gloss paint. They call me “Munene wa Kuminukilya” (the master of
Finishing)
With a sand paper, gloss paint and 400 pieces of effigies. My
day will be done and you will have stunning curios.
Enough
said:
Now
I have a reason to think about the way I can develop these talents which have
been kept
out
of the party by cruel brokers. They trained me, it is my time to pay back to
the same society.
Our
job isn't sedentary so we don’t have to fight so hard to reduce weight, or find
out the solutions to make thighs stop rubbing together or even be thoughtful
about what to eat since we have a way to incinerate every calorie put into the
mouth, at least there is always a log of wood here and there to carry or some
sandpaper is at hand to finish a few effigies. The biggest problem is that our
market lacks standards to keep off gluttonous, cold-blooded, inconsiderate and egocentric
middle men who have perpetrated pain, desolation and stagnation to our capable
men. Well, middle men are not bad, after all we need them to warrant a continuous
supply chain, but the question of integrity remains open. We have had to agonize
in silence as they make it colossal in expense of our sweat.
Thanks
to my conscious for the idea of online shopping. I can swear by the nose, this
is the first platform for the actual
workers who now have opened their eyes and realized there is so much out there we have been too shy, or silly to go
and pick.
I
feel honored to lead the campaign as well. God bless us and bless you all.
For
deliveries and quotations:
Visit
our Facebook Page
Or
Skype:
Charles.ndolo86
Twitter:
@AngstromPal





No comments:
Post a Comment